Skip to main content

Turning Point...

As George Bernard Shaw says...
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

True to his words, I embarked on my entrepreneurial journey on January 26, 1999, in the first year of my MBA itself when I bagged a good project from KRCL. My business gained momentum day after day taking me all over India including the rural side. As a Technologist, I have seen the rapid growth of technology and keeping abreast of it was a day to day challenge. From legacy systems to Server Oriented Architecture to Thin Clients to Client-Server to the New Media, I have covered it all in a span of 12yrs. Somewhere down the line, 5yrs earlier; I also diversified into Recruitments on client demand.

Acquiring new clients, delivering projects, constantly building teams, mentoring them, moving from one segment of the industry to the other was energizing and being young the sheer zest of making it on my own without an investor backing gave me a kick. I made my business the fulcrum of my life. It began and ended there for me. There were the highs, the lows and the no-business phases too, but I survived for giving up wasn't me. The sheer power of creating a corporate entity which in turn formed my own individual identity is a different high altogether..!!

I often used to wonder when my colleagues were climbing up the ladder in various corporates and moving places what is it like to be on that side of the world. This is one thought that kept niggling me in the back of my mind always for being self funded, the monetary returns for me were not as high but the projects I worked on were diverse and covered a broader spectrum. Largely, it did not matter but the seed persisted.

Certain twists in my personal life in the last few years and the dent of recession that we all faced couple of years back gave my HR business a huge set-back. Also, personal responsibilities started demanding more of my time, so much so that I just got myself to grinding halt one day, to pause and to assess the situation. With all the responsibilities that I am shouldering and after a lot of contemplation, deliberation and weighing the situation in hand, I opted to walk over to the other side of the bridge and opted for employment as recent as a week back in a large corporate with a good profile. My first turning point in life.

For a self made woman who prided in being an entrepreneur for 12yrs of her career; this decision affected me a lot mentally. Precisely a week into the other side and I see a huge world of difference. I don't even know if I belong here but being a committed professional that I am; I intend giving this my cent percent and time off course, as I am still in the nascent stage before I decide to pause again if time forces me to as it did this time.

Today, when I vacated my office to hand it back to my landlord, it was a sinking feeling that literally made me choke on my emotions. Everything that I had built brick my brick by putting in my blood, sweat and toil; I was dismantling with my own hands. Handing over my office back was like letting go of my own created world. An entity that had a form for more than a decade will cease to exist from hereon. Words fall short of expressing what exactly I am going through right now..!!

Generally, people do job first and then become entrepreneurs and here I am at mid-life doing it the other way round. Whether the decision I took was right or wrong, only time will tell. Zendagi Migzara a.k.a Life moves on, is what life is all about, yet...

I am moving on with my life with my favorite quote being the only driving and reinstating force in my mind ~
Dum Spira, Spera...

Epilogue: On March 30, 2011, I rolled back to being a Consultant after having realized I am not cut to being an employee. Beyond everything, the entrepreneurial spirit within me was "calling" and I had to return back to my world. I, now, firmly believe an entrepreneur can never call it "Quits" or "The END" ever.

Comments

mehul said…
You need great guts to do that, you have set an example to the world that nothing in this world is never late, Surely, with this kind of attitude and stong devotion, you are ought to find yourself on the top of the world very soon because time just flies.

Life is like a see-saw for all the humans on this earth, at times you are on the lower end and at times you are on the higher end, so the best way to live a life is to take life as it come to you. Good luck.

Mehul.

Popular posts from this blog

Darkness Sorrow Loneliness Silence

      Can darkness grow darker? It can. When darkness grows darker, blackhole vacuums all trace of hope, and the soul surrenders to an unlit void. Can sorrow grieve? It can. When sorrow grieves, grief is the process that your heart goes through, and sorrow is the feeling your heart feels while grieving. Can loneliness lose itself in solitude? It can. When loneliness merges into solitude, you self-create an unwanted isolation, and empower an involuntary state of mind to mislay your existence. Can silence grow quiet? It can. When silence grows quiet, calmness and peacefulness cultivate, and the mind boosts paving way for creation. Let it.

Lost in translating Life..!!

Oh! How I wish I could backtrack my steps before moving forward any more. Maybe not so much retrace, either, as relive but to set straight certain matters which I should have way back then. What if life could be controlled by a remote, then no understanding would have been required at all; it would just be a series of clicks ..?! As a realist, I know that I cannot backtrack for the rules of nature are not as such but I can certainly pause  the "NOW" to surmise and comprehend the situation that I have in hand for I'm feeling lost in the translation of understanding the dynamics of life (a journey, I embarked upon couple of years back). The realm of life is such a vast expanse that even the timeline of a lifetime seems hell short of coping up with the pace of time to make sense of the reality of reality. Come what may we can only learn life backwards and live it forwards. There are no rooms for making repetitive mistakes; either learn from the first time you erred o

Matter of choice..!!

Heck, three decades of life's journey and I didn't know whether I was coming or going..!! Seen it all... my dad's death right before my eyes, my marriage falling apart in 3 hours (I used to think it only happened in Hollywood..!!), disconnect within family, career swinging uphill and downhill, ghastly accident, financial crisis, betrayal in love, friends who were not really friends, solitude, depression... the list would go on n' on. Hell, I even attempted suicides when I couldn't take it in anymore but I survived. What did I learn from it..?? I was destined to live . Deep in the rampant carnage of what was left of my so-called "life" that was disintegrating me rapidly, I realized, I had to pause and make sense out of it as it was me and me alone who could get the handle on my life again. Death is an obvious, why then was I running towards it when it was running away from me? Whatever had to happen had happened and it was over. Why then was I not