Skip to main content

Living in the Surreal World


The surreal world, once an evolution has today morphed so well in our daily lives that we fail to realize that it has taken over our real life.

Have you had to face situations where you had to save yourself with a smirk or a caustic smile and had the feeling that "What in the hell was that..?!! WEIRD... WTF". This has a lot to say about the socially conscious high tech surreal life, we are leading today which instead of advancing us has relegated us to becoming soulless bodies who seem to have an opinion on anything and everything about the universe.

It is true there has been a rapid evolution in the environment around us, especially technology that seems to be growing at a rapid rate and sucking us in its gyre. Peer and social pressure compels us to match pace with its version of representation of what should be our world.

Take for instance success of the likes of Facebook, Twitter n' its cult. YES, it has made the world appear a mere speck as against its vast enormity. We post on the walls or tweet and broadcast the most trivial happenings to one n' all, connect and chat with strangers for hours and days altogether (who may may-not be real), spend most of our time here when otherwise we could have spent it more productively. It has become so much a part of our lives that our kith and kin have to check our updates here. Kindles and mobile apps have replaced the hard bound copy reading.

Not that I am anti e-Social Networking, I, too, admit I am a part of it but I am supremely amazed with it's worldwide addiction.

When a poignant or cataclysmic incident occurs have you observed that we feel either momentarily bothered about it or feel desensitized altogether? Why are we transforming to be individuals who are disconnected from reality?

Our innate values seem to have to have buried deep within so many trenches within us that they almost seem non-existent in the face of it. Why does the surreal world appeal so much to us and the real defining heart-touching moments seem unreal to us?

Gone are the days when real defining moments touched us, money was not the be-all and end-all, fitness regime was the least on our priority list, we savored on delicacies prepared by our mom and did not bother about the calories, we took time out of our schedules to meet people close to us in person which further resulted in forming strong life long bonds, visiting a book or music store and sifting through its treasure trove to pick your favorite gave you a high, a trip to nature's paradise energized us, a walk down the beach alone or in companionship in sunset gave the best pleasure on earth, true feelings expressed in person made us feel euphoric, catastrophes and adversities bonded us and helped us tide through the crisis and weather all forms of storms.

Have our real emotions died an unknown death that we now look upon these surreal experiences to save our fate? Have we accepted these surreal experiences as the real?

Maybe, it’s true for that's how the world around us seems to be now. This surreal life, the kind that does not call for living in its true form, one which has become the real world for us, now, when opposed with the once upon a time safe, carefree, simple life that was enriched with true genuine love seems a stark contrast and a distant reality. Our reality checks have changed: for good or bad, only time will tell as and when it unfolds.

Comments

Fikarkaunkai said…
Hello Dear
Both lives exit in this enormous world. Those who have come to the surreal world were once from real world, and will pass away, others from the real world will join surreal.
That's how it is evolving. One thing is important that their is realization.

Popular posts from this blog

Darkness Sorrow Loneliness Silence

      Can darkness grow darker? It can. When darkness grows darker, blackhole vacuums all trace of hope, and the soul surrenders to an unlit void. Can sorrow grieve? It can. When sorrow grieves, grief is the process that your heart goes through, and sorrow is the feeling your heart feels while grieving. Can loneliness lose itself in solitude? It can. When loneliness merges into solitude, you self-create an unwanted isolation, and empower an involuntary state of mind to mislay your existence. Can silence grow quiet? It can. When silence grows quiet, calmness and peacefulness cultivate, and the mind boosts paving way for creation. Let it.

Matter of choice..!!

Heck, three decades of life's journey and I didn't know whether I was coming or going..!! Seen it all... my dad's death right before my eyes, my marriage falling apart in 3 hours (I used to think it only happened in Hollywood..!!), disconnect within family, career swinging uphill and downhill, ghastly accident, financial crisis, betrayal in love, friends who were not really friends, solitude, depression... the list would go on n' on. Hell, I even attempted suicides when I couldn't take it in anymore but I survived. What did I learn from it..?? I was destined to live . Deep in the rampant carnage of what was left of my so-called "life" that was disintegrating me rapidly, I realized, I had to pause and make sense out of it as it was me and me alone who could get the handle on my life again. Death is an obvious, why then was I running towards it when it was running away from me? Whatever had to happen had happened and it was over. Why then was I not

Lost in translating Life..!!

Oh! How I wish I could backtrack my steps before moving forward any more. Maybe not so much retrace, either, as relive but to set straight certain matters which I should have way back then. What if life could be controlled by a remote, then no understanding would have been required at all; it would just be a series of clicks ..?! As a realist, I know that I cannot backtrack for the rules of nature are not as such but I can certainly pause  the "NOW" to surmise and comprehend the situation that I have in hand for I'm feeling lost in the translation of understanding the dynamics of life (a journey, I embarked upon couple of years back). The realm of life is such a vast expanse that even the timeline of a lifetime seems hell short of coping up with the pace of time to make sense of the reality of reality. Come what may we can only learn life backwards and live it forwards. There are no rooms for making repetitive mistakes; either learn from the first time you erred o