Skip to main content

Strangers Somewhere, Nobody Nowhere!!

A Project Management Consultant by profession with more than a decade experience across most of the industries, work has been the inspiration of my life. I am drawn to projects that are stimulating,challenging and require logical analysis or abstract thinking. My work has taken me across the length and breadth of my country to inroads unknown, to wilderness and every experience has inched me closer to humanity. It might seem strange that though I work on systems, it is the humans associated with the project who have formed a carving niche in my memory lane.


An unforgettable vivid memory is that of a project that shall always remain close to my heart. I was approached by a Trust to automate their processes and develop a work flow management system for them. My first visit to their office happened to be in a chilly evening of November 2004 and the visit left an indelible print in me. The address was the taboo street of Red Light area aka the famous Kamathipura (Mumbai). As I stepped into the lane, I was drawn by the garish make over of the women in all ages from teenagers to middle agers waiting at the door steps lying in wait for their potential customers. Quickly I averted my gaze and ran towards the Trust premises. The Trust works towards providing education and taking care of medical requirements of the children of the prostitutes. It also doubles up as a day-care for the under-privileged in this sect.


Encourse the analysis of the system, I was drawn towards these women who came to see off their children. Curiosity drew the better of me and with the permission of the Trust authorities, I started interacting with them to see their life through their eyes as against my opionated self. Their gut wretching stories moved my soul. We crib about extra hours at hour, work pressures, travelling hazards et al and here they were trading their flesh for mere bucks to earn their livelihood. Not all amongst them were brought into the flesh trade by touts, some had voluntarily stepped in due to the dire straits of their family. The reckless abandon with which they treated their self and the apathy towards their own children were all an outcome of how they have been treated by the so-called civilized men of our society. Many of them did not even know the father of their own child but most of them did know about their proximity to HIV and AIDS, yet it didn't make any difference to them. The way I look upon work as the fulcrum of my life is the way they look upon flesh trade as the fulcrum of their life; the prima facie reason of their sustenance in this man-eat-man world. With every visit to the Trust for the implementation of my project, I grew more and more attached to the special children who were taken care of by the staff of the Trust. I used to play with them, feed them, teach them and feel one with them.


Concern about the uncertainities about their future often shrouded my thoughts and I used to ponder...
  • What wrong have this children done to face a life like this as an outcast of the very society we live in so carefree?
  • What kind of values would they uphold in life?
  • What kind of future would they have to deal with?
  • Would they be normal humans at all?
  • What kind of upbringing would they pass on to their future generations?


The questions seem endless, the answers unknown.
The end of my project evoked a feeling of pangst of seperation from this world that had become a part of me. Little did I know at the onset that this project was to be my most memorable project ever and that it would be an eye opener for me in more ways than one and draw me a step closer to humanity.Now, whenever I find time, I make it a point to spend it with these special children of GOD who are taken care of by the various NGO's in and around Bombay. Hats off to them for their determination and single minded pursuance towards preserving life in all forms.


My sincere salutations...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Darkness Sorrow Loneliness Silence

      Can darkness grow darker? It can. When darkness grows darker, blackhole vacuums all trace of hope, and the soul surrenders to an unlit void. Can sorrow grieve? It can. When sorrow grieves, grief is the process that your heart goes through, and sorrow is the feeling your heart feels while grieving. Can loneliness lose itself in solitude? It can. When loneliness merges into solitude, you self-create an unwanted isolation, and empower an involuntary state of mind to mislay your existence. Can silence grow quiet? It can. When silence grows quiet, calmness and peacefulness cultivate, and the mind boosts paving way for creation. Let it.

Never compromise yourself..!!

When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. Remember that we all live our own lives. We do not live the life of another. For us to reach our pre-ordained destiny and realize our dreams, there will be many critics in life whom we have to put them on "ignore" mode; be it their insults, opinions and judgments - you’ll have to cast them all aside. For if you do not; then it means you are letting them control your life. The outcome is such that you would become so estranged from yourself and feel like the real YOU is trapped inside you screaming to let it out. Do you want to go through such myriad of emotions? NO. So, exclude yourself from all such people who create nothing but instigate you, pollute your mind and create mayhem with a whole lot of drama in your life just to add spice to their entertainment. As Ayn Rand rightfully says " I need no warrant for being, and n

Lost in translating Life..!!

Oh! How I wish I could backtrack my steps before moving forward any more. Maybe not so much retrace, either, as relive but to set straight certain matters which I should have way back then. What if life could be controlled by a remote, then no understanding would have been required at all; it would just be a series of clicks ..?! As a realist, I know that I cannot backtrack for the rules of nature are not as such but I can certainly pause  the "NOW" to surmise and comprehend the situation that I have in hand for I'm feeling lost in the translation of understanding the dynamics of life (a journey, I embarked upon couple of years back). The realm of life is such a vast expanse that even the timeline of a lifetime seems hell short of coping up with the pace of time to make sense of the reality of reality. Come what may we can only learn life backwards and live it forwards. There are no rooms for making repetitive mistakes; either learn from the first time you erred o