Skip to main content

Living in the Surreal World


The surreal world, once an evolution has today morphed so well in our daily lives that we fail to realize that it has taken over our real life.

Have you had to face situations where you had to save yourself with a smirk or a caustic smile and had the feeling that "What in the hell was that..?!! WEIRD... WTF". This has a lot to say about the socially conscious high tech surreal life, we are leading today which instead of advancing us has relegated us to becoming soulless bodies who seem to have an opinion on anything and everything about the universe.

It is true there has been a rapid evolution in the environment around us, especially technology that seems to be growing at a rapid rate and sucking us in its gyre. Peer and social pressure compels us to match pace with its version of representation of what should be our world.

Take for instance success of the likes of Facebook, Twitter n' its cult. YES, it has made the world appear a mere speck as against its vast enormity. We post on the walls or tweet and broadcast the most trivial happenings to one n' all, connect and chat with strangers for hours and days altogether (who may may-not be real), spend most of our time here when otherwise we could have spent it more productively. It has become so much a part of our lives that our kith and kin have to check our updates here. Kindles and mobile apps have replaced the hard bound copy reading.

Not that I am anti e-Social Networking, I, too, admit I am a part of it but I am supremely amazed with it's worldwide addiction.

When a poignant or cataclysmic incident occurs have you observed that we feel either momentarily bothered about it or feel desensitized altogether? Why are we transforming to be individuals who are disconnected from reality?

Our innate values seem to have to have buried deep within so many trenches within us that they almost seem non-existent in the face of it. Why does the surreal world appeal so much to us and the real defining heart-touching moments seem unreal to us?

Gone are the days when real defining moments touched us, money was not the be-all and end-all, fitness regime was the least on our priority list, we savored on delicacies prepared by our mom and did not bother about the calories, we took time out of our schedules to meet people close to us in person which further resulted in forming strong life long bonds, visiting a book or music store and sifting through its treasure trove to pick your favorite gave you a high, a trip to nature's paradise energized us, a walk down the beach alone or in companionship in sunset gave the best pleasure on earth, true feelings expressed in person made us feel euphoric, catastrophes and adversities bonded us and helped us tide through the crisis and weather all forms of storms.

Have our real emotions died an unknown death that we now look upon these surreal experiences to save our fate? Have we accepted these surreal experiences as the real?

Maybe, it’s true for that's how the world around us seems to be now. This surreal life, the kind that does not call for living in its true form, one which has become the real world for us, now, when opposed with the once upon a time safe, carefree, simple life that was enriched with true genuine love seems a stark contrast and a distant reality. Our reality checks have changed: for good or bad, only time will tell as and when it unfolds.

Comments

Fikarkaunkai said…
Hello Dear
Both lives exit in this enormous world. Those who have come to the surreal world were once from real world, and will pass away, others from the real world will join surreal.
That's how it is evolving. One thing is important that their is realization.

Popular posts from this blog

Footprints in the sands of time

My mind wants to interpret the dreams that are mine; I want to fulfill these dreams that are mine..!! I am a dreamy eyed girl who set foot on my journey after my education, almost 2 decades back to create a mark of her own. My own signature identity as I call it..!! At the onset of the journey, I was surprised initially to discover, how little I knew of my strengths n' weaknesses and of the different facets of life, how much unknown I was to what I wanted to do with my life, how clueless I was about my destination and which road to take, I did not know whether what I was seeing was a reflection or a mirage; all I knew was that I had the had to move on and I had the unwavering will in my stride to create an identity for me. Initially, I accepted things at their face value and treated them as gospel only to face the consequences at a later stage. En route the journey, I learnt to value reality checks and dared to be real in a world of pretence. I accepted life in its tru...

Lost in translating Life..!!

Oh! How I wish I could backtrack my steps before moving forward any more. Maybe not so much retrace, either, as relive but to set straight certain matters which I should have way back then. What if life could be controlled by a remote, then no understanding would have been required at all; it would just be a series of clicks ..?! As a realist, I know that I cannot backtrack for the rules of nature are not as such but I can certainly pause  the "NOW" to surmise and comprehend the situation that I have in hand for I'm feeling lost in the translation of understanding the dynamics of life (a journey, I embarked upon couple of years back). The realm of life is such a vast expanse that even the timeline of a lifetime seems hell short of coping up with the pace of time to make sense of the reality of reality. Come what may we can only learn life backwards and live it forwards. There are no rooms for making repetitive mistakes; either learn from the first time you erred o...

Ever felt like a stranger in your own life?

I crossed the great ocean and yet, I halted so close to the shore when I found myself alone stripped off all will n' deplete of any energy to take me to the other side. I am not the only person who has reached such crossroads in life n' found myself at vain. A peek around tells me there are many like me. It is not that one fine day, I had lightening strike me out of the blue that made me realize that I am a stranger in my own life. I have felt so many-a-times n' till date it continues to harrow n' browbeat the winds out of me each time I go through it. It is more like a reality check crisis where I find me questioning myself on: Who am I? What am I doing? How on earth did I land myself here? Where did my life go by? What is the way ahead? Suddenly, my life seems surreal and I find myself as an observer who is observing my own life in reels. Such incidents come and go but they blur me out while they last. It is in such moments that I find it difficult t...