Skip to main content

Turning Point...

As George Bernard Shaw says...
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

True to his words, I embarked on my entrepreneurial journey on January 26, 1999, in the first year of my MBA itself when I bagged a good project from KRCL. My business gained momentum day after day taking me all over India including the rural side. As a Technologist, I have seen the rapid growth of technology and keeping abreast of it was a day to day challenge. From legacy systems to Server Oriented Architecture to Thin Clients to Client-Server to the New Media, I have covered it all in a span of 12yrs. Somewhere down the line, 5yrs earlier; I also diversified into Recruitments on client demand.

Acquiring new clients, delivering projects, constantly building teams, mentoring them, moving from one segment of the industry to the other was energizing and being young the sheer zest of making it on my own without an investor backing gave me a kick. I made my business the fulcrum of my life. It began and ended there for me. There were the highs, the lows and the no-business phases too, but I survived for giving up wasn't me. The sheer power of creating a corporate entity which in turn formed my own individual identity is a different high altogether..!!

I often used to wonder when my colleagues were climbing up the ladder in various corporates and moving places what is it like to be on that side of the world. This is one thought that kept niggling me in the back of my mind always for being self funded, the monetary returns for me were not as high but the projects I worked on were diverse and covered a broader spectrum. Largely, it did not matter but the seed persisted.

Certain twists in my personal life in the last few years and the dent of recession that we all faced couple of years back gave my HR business a huge set-back. Also, personal responsibilities started demanding more of my time, so much so that I just got myself to grinding halt one day, to pause and to assess the situation. With all the responsibilities that I am shouldering and after a lot of contemplation, deliberation and weighing the situation in hand, I opted to walk over to the other side of the bridge and opted for employment as recent as a week back in a large corporate with a good profile. My first turning point in life.

For a self made woman who prided in being an entrepreneur for 12yrs of her career; this decision affected me a lot mentally. Precisely a week into the other side and I see a huge world of difference. I don't even know if I belong here but being a committed professional that I am; I intend giving this my cent percent and time off course, as I am still in the nascent stage before I decide to pause again if time forces me to as it did this time.

Today, when I vacated my office to hand it back to my landlord, it was a sinking feeling that literally made me choke on my emotions. Everything that I had built brick my brick by putting in my blood, sweat and toil; I was dismantling with my own hands. Handing over my office back was like letting go of my own created world. An entity that had a form for more than a decade will cease to exist from hereon. Words fall short of expressing what exactly I am going through right now..!!

Generally, people do job first and then become entrepreneurs and here I am at mid-life doing it the other way round. Whether the decision I took was right or wrong, only time will tell. Zendagi Migzara a.k.a Life moves on, is what life is all about, yet...

I am moving on with my life with my favorite quote being the only driving and reinstating force in my mind ~
Dum Spira, Spera...

Epilogue: On March 30, 2011, I rolled back to being a Consultant after having realized I am not cut to being an employee. Beyond everything, the entrepreneurial spirit within me was "calling" and I had to return back to my world. I, now, firmly believe an entrepreneur can never call it "Quits" or "The END" ever.

Comments

mehul said…
You need great guts to do that, you have set an example to the world that nothing in this world is never late, Surely, with this kind of attitude and stong devotion, you are ought to find yourself on the top of the world very soon because time just flies.

Life is like a see-saw for all the humans on this earth, at times you are on the lower end and at times you are on the higher end, so the best way to live a life is to take life as it come to you. Good luck.

Mehul.

Popular posts from this blog

Footprints in the sands of time

My mind wants to interpret the dreams that are mine; I want to fulfill these dreams that are mine..!! I am a dreamy eyed girl who set foot on my journey after my education, almost 2 decades back to create a mark of her own. My own signature identity as I call it..!! At the onset of the journey, I was surprised initially to discover, how little I knew of my strengths n' weaknesses and of the different facets of life, how much unknown I was to what I wanted to do with my life, how clueless I was about my destination and which road to take, I did not know whether what I was seeing was a reflection or a mirage; all I knew was that I had the had to move on and I had the unwavering will in my stride to create an identity for me. Initially, I accepted things at their face value and treated them as gospel only to face the consequences at a later stage. En route the journey, I learnt to value reality checks and dared to be real in a world of pretence. I accepted life in its tru...

Lost in translating Life..!!

Oh! How I wish I could backtrack my steps before moving forward any more. Maybe not so much retrace, either, as relive but to set straight certain matters which I should have way back then. What if life could be controlled by a remote, then no understanding would have been required at all; it would just be a series of clicks ..?! As a realist, I know that I cannot backtrack for the rules of nature are not as such but I can certainly pause  the "NOW" to surmise and comprehend the situation that I have in hand for I'm feeling lost in the translation of understanding the dynamics of life (a journey, I embarked upon couple of years back). The realm of life is such a vast expanse that even the timeline of a lifetime seems hell short of coping up with the pace of time to make sense of the reality of reality. Come what may we can only learn life backwards and live it forwards. There are no rooms for making repetitive mistakes; either learn from the first time you erred o...

Ever felt like a stranger in your own life?

I crossed the great ocean and yet, I halted so close to the shore when I found myself alone stripped off all will n' deplete of any energy to take me to the other side. I am not the only person who has reached such crossroads in life n' found myself at vain. A peek around tells me there are many like me. It is not that one fine day, I had lightening strike me out of the blue that made me realize that I am a stranger in my own life. I have felt so many-a-times n' till date it continues to harrow n' browbeat the winds out of me each time I go through it. It is more like a reality check crisis where I find me questioning myself on: Who am I? What am I doing? How on earth did I land myself here? Where did my life go by? What is the way ahead? Suddenly, my life seems surreal and I find myself as an observer who is observing my own life in reels. Such incidents come and go but they blur me out while they last. It is in such moments that I find it difficult t...